Skip to main content

Friday: Blacksmith & Insadong.

Friday night is here! The day should be sound a lot more exciting than it actually was. Well, my parents will be very glad to know that my roommate is very proactive in not being a sloth for the whole day. Since I have no classes today and my roommate doesn't have class until 4 in the afternoon, we woke up late... again. It's midterm week and we finished our midterms so... it's allowed! Anyways, usually, when I have nothing really planned, I tend to stay in my bed the whole day and be in front of the computer, either watching youtube videos or movies or surf the internet. However, my roommate is equally as lazy as I am but not as bad as I am. Good thing, she pushed me to actually get ready, get some food and actually focus on finishing our readings that we need to do for next Friday. YAY for awesome proactive roommate!
Afterwards though, we returned to our room and chilled in front of the computer. She had class at four and I was still in front of the computer. Well, I did something productive while she was in class. I translated some videos from Japanese to English for fellow SE7EN fans. These days he's promoting in Japan, so there are a flow of things needed to be translated. Since I have the time and skills I did some of that! When my roommate came back from class, we went out for dinner.

We went to Blacksmith. It is a new pizza chain, franchise, whatever you want to call it, here in South Korea. It is supposed to Italian style pizza. We went there and it is a relatively fancy place. We had high expectations because the setting, the advertisements, the appearance screamed something that would be great quality. Do you notice the foreshadowing in my writing already? If don't let me tell you, it didn't reach our expectations. Question: Aren't Italian style pizzas supposed to crispy and not soggy in the middle? My roommate and I thought the same thing after we ate a slice of pizza. The crust was delicious, the pizza topping and sauce was good but, the bread wasn't cooked properly. We could see from where we were sitting the oven they cook the pizza. Well is it an oven? it is one of those big things that you stick the pizza on a stick and put the pizza in the dome and let the pizza cook in there. You've seen them right? I'm not good at describing things. The point I'm trying to make, it wasn't the normal oven, it was huge and you could see the fire around the flat service. For lack of a better word, I'm going to call it an oven. From the way we observed the way they cooked the pizza, they made a couple mistakes. One: Close the oven door once you put the pizza in. Two: Don't take the pizza out too fast. I think mistake number one is the key mistake we both observed. I mean the second mistake of is slightly connected to the first mistake. Having the oven door open like that, reduces the heat in the oven dome thingy, so the pizza can't cook properly. So if you don't close the oven door, don't take the pizza out the same time as you would when you DO close the oven door. It's interrelated I guess. By no means were the both of us pizza experts... however, if amateurs like us can tell the pizza's not good... then the pizza's not good.
Good thing we only ordered one pizza and we ordered a carbonera pasta. This on the other hand was REALLY REALLY GOOD. Actually one of the best carbonera pasta we tasted in Seoul so far. It is really good. The noodles, the sauce, the meat, everything was cooked perfectly. The sauce wasn't too watery as it is with most pastas here in Seoul. It was actually nice and thick. We also had their wine cocktails and it was really really good as well. So the both of us decided, if we wanted really good pasta and wine, Blacksmith is the place to go. Just don't go have their pizzas, unless you like your pizza soggy in the middle I guess...
Afterwards, we decided to hang around Insadong. I think I have mentioned about Insadong before, but if I haven't, it's the artsy/traditional place of Seoul. In the past, this was where all the books were being sold to study for the tests to become a government official. It is also one of the few places in Seoul, where starbucks coffee is not written in English but instead is written in Korean like this: 스타벅스. Also, handcrafts, souvenirs, pottery, ceramics, traditional clothing, tea, and many other unique things can be found here. We went to a coffee shop in Insadong to have some waffles and tea, not coffee. Don't want to stay up too late today. The waffle was delicious. They had maple syrup! YAY!

Now we are back in our room, in front of the computers. Me, writing this blog post and eventually will translate more videos. Tomorrow, I actually have plans! We are going to an amusement park that replicates different parts of the world. So it's going to be fun! On Sunday, I have nothing planned though. My roommate is off to a music show to see her favorite group. I don't know what I will do on Sunday. Will I be a sloth or actually be proactive and do something? hmmm... Maybe I'll buy grapes and watch a movie or take selcas... again. I don't know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer and Communication

So, I arrived in Seoul after a long 14 hour trip. 14? maybe even 15. The layover in Shanghai was brutal to say the least. Well the flight to Shanghai itself was brutal as well. First, there was no tv like i'm used to on long flight travels. Second, My laptop wasn't fully charged, so I couldn't even use it for long as I was saving it for the layover. Third, Food/service on the plane wasn't that great. I got 2 meals and some sort of sandwich snack. Also, I told you yesterday about gate checking in my guitar? Well, that didn't work out well. At least they let me put it in the overhead compartment besides it being a full flight. However, I sat beside a really nice person who helped me. The flight attendants were not really good at understanding English, so the person beside me helped me ask the flight attendants what to do and etc. So the 12 hr flight to Shanghai was brutal with me fighting to sleep or staring into nothingness, attempt at conversation to the perso

Osaka! Takarazuka! Junsu?

So where do I begin? Last time I told you I was going to update in Japan but I ended up not doing that because on the flight to Japan, I made friends with the person beside me. We somehow connected in conversations during the flight over that, before she had to move on to Shanghai, thought we should chill together a little bit more. (Which reminds me that I need to e-mail her). Anyways, the flight over to Korea eventually was uneventful besides the turbulence in the beginning, well landing in Japan was very turbulent as well. The weather was not great at that time to say the least. Landed safely and I was happy to see that my friends had came to pick me up. Keeping it Korean style, decided to take a picture of my arrival/reunion. We caught up with each other on the way to the friend's place I'm staying at, and it really felt surreal for me to be back in Korea. It was nice and welcoming at the same time it was... yup I'm in Korea... kind of reaction. Since my plane lande

Now that I am home

I have been back home for 3 days already. It feels more like a week already because this stupid jetlag is not helping me at all. Today is the 11th already. It doesn't feel like it. Today? Yesterday? well on the 10th, I meant to wake up earlier... like 10 in the morning but instead, I woke at around 4 in the evening. Just in time for the dinner gathering my family had with my aunt and uncle that came by from the other side of Canada. It was nice to see them again but the whole time I was kicking myself in my head because I didn't wake up earlier. Now I am suffering from the consequences... It sucks because outside... there is light already.  I should go to bed because there is another family gathering I have to go to at 9:30am and I have an orientation thing that I have to go to with the volunteering thing I am doing this summer at 1pm... and I think I might have to drive for it. But here's the thing... I can't sleep.  Sleep~ please come to me now... at least for