Skip to main content

Sunday = Church

So today... was church day.
It was interesting to say the least. The church was HUGE! It's a presbyterian church and I've never gone to a presbyterian service before. It's very... evangelical to say the least. I don't know, when I do go to church in Canada or even Indonesia, I'm used to going to small congregation churches and usually the church building is only 2 floors max. This church was 12 stories in total. 6 floors going up and 6 floors underground. It has a library facility and a very huge sanctuary and they are adding onto it to build an even larger sanctuary. Apparently there are about 10,000 members of the church. I'm floored at the massiveness of the church. I wish I did take a picture of the building. I'll have more chances and I'll show it to you how massive the church is and will be. My home stay parents are very active members of the church it seems. My home stay mother introduced me to a lady, in which I didn't catch a name, who became a guide for me. She spoke english and accompanied me throughout the two, yes TWO services I went to.
The first service was the main service in which everyone attended. The lady handed me something in which I could hear the whole service in English. Then after that, I went to another service for Multi-ethnicity they call it. There they had it in both English and Korean. At the first service it was very elegant and nicely decorated. I thought the choir was amazing. They even had an orchestra accompaniment for both choir singing and congregation singing. The mediator? or the person who reads the scriptures first and then the congregation reads a response, he had an interesting hairstyle. (Yes I should have paid attention to what was being said but the interpreter only translated the main message not the stuff in between, so I was bored and jetlagged and sleepy yeah... not good. For those of you who went to New York with me on that band/choir trip? It was like that. The service and the elaborateness was like the Time Square church in new york. except this was more conservative.) The message spoken to the all at this service was to be born again. A very evangelical message.
On the way to restaurant on the freeway
The second service I went to, was a lot more familiar to me. Only about 40 people? The message spoken was about reforming yourself/church.

After the 2nd service, I said good bye to the lady and my home stay mom and I picked up two people and went somewhere. Reading from the signs, we drove all the way to Paju? I remembered that because it reminded me of the Indonesian word Baju. Anyways, turns out we were driving to my home stay mom's older brother's BBQ restaurant. To get there though, on the highway on one side it's South Korea and the other side, there were barred wire fence just before the Han River side. Yes, the other side was north korea. What a great contrast to Seoul, with high buildings everywhere, North Korea was really beautiful in greenery. At least from what I could see through the window of the car. I could see the soldiers guarding the border and keeping an eye of the river.

North Korea across the river
Once we got to the restaurant, we were accompanied by my home stay's bible study group or something and I was left with the people that we came in the car with. One lady was good at speaking Japanese and her son was good at speaking English. So basically we could make some sort of conversation. ^0^
So my day was... long.
Tomorrow, I think we're going out for the day? I don't know... really. Oh to change what's left of my money and then... and then I don't know...
North Korea on the other side again
Beef!
BY THE WAY! I forgot to tell you yesterday, contact lens solution is cheaper in South Korea! So if you are planning to come here, buy it here! I'm talking about the Renu contact lens brand. :)
well, i'm gonna relax right now. I want to watch tv but my homestay mother is sleeping and I don't know where my homestay father is. My home stay are not big tv watchers like my homestay in Japan. So I think I might have to learn how to use the tv and watch on my own because in reality, it's from the tv where I learn the language faster.
well chillax. Maybe sleep again. i'm so tired.

current time: 19:47
current song: Better Together by SE7EN
current mood: tired

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer and Communication

So, I arrived in Seoul after a long 14 hour trip. 14? maybe even 15. The layover in Shanghai was brutal to say the least. Well the flight to Shanghai itself was brutal as well. First, there was no tv like i'm used to on long flight travels. Second, My laptop wasn't fully charged, so I couldn't even use it for long as I was saving it for the layover. Third, Food/service on the plane wasn't that great. I got 2 meals and some sort of sandwich snack. Also, I told you yesterday about gate checking in my guitar? Well, that didn't work out well. At least they let me put it in the overhead compartment besides it being a full flight. However, I sat beside a really nice person who helped me. The flight attendants were not really good at understanding English, so the person beside me helped me ask the flight attendants what to do and etc. So the 12 hr flight to Shanghai was brutal with me fighting to sleep or staring into nothingness, attempt at conversation to the perso

Osaka! Takarazuka! Junsu?

So where do I begin? Last time I told you I was going to update in Japan but I ended up not doing that because on the flight to Japan, I made friends with the person beside me. We somehow connected in conversations during the flight over that, before she had to move on to Shanghai, thought we should chill together a little bit more. (Which reminds me that I need to e-mail her). Anyways, the flight over to Korea eventually was uneventful besides the turbulence in the beginning, well landing in Japan was very turbulent as well. The weather was not great at that time to say the least. Landed safely and I was happy to see that my friends had came to pick me up. Keeping it Korean style, decided to take a picture of my arrival/reunion. We caught up with each other on the way to the friend's place I'm staying at, and it really felt surreal for me to be back in Korea. It was nice and welcoming at the same time it was... yup I'm in Korea... kind of reaction. Since my plane lande

Now that I am home

I have been back home for 3 days already. It feels more like a week already because this stupid jetlag is not helping me at all. Today is the 11th already. It doesn't feel like it. Today? Yesterday? well on the 10th, I meant to wake up earlier... like 10 in the morning but instead, I woke at around 4 in the evening. Just in time for the dinner gathering my family had with my aunt and uncle that came by from the other side of Canada. It was nice to see them again but the whole time I was kicking myself in my head because I didn't wake up earlier. Now I am suffering from the consequences... It sucks because outside... there is light already.  I should go to bed because there is another family gathering I have to go to at 9:30am and I have an orientation thing that I have to go to with the volunteering thing I am doing this summer at 1pm... and I think I might have to drive for it. But here's the thing... I can't sleep.  Sleep~ please come to me now... at least for