Skip to main content

Chuseok and Classes

As I am having a lazy evening right now, I thought I would update my blog today.
So... Chuseok was fun! I felt it was basically how Canadians (well at least my family) celebrate Thanksgiving. Except Chuseok or Korean Thanksgiving's level of importance is way higher then a Canadian Thanksgiving. It's almost like Christmas. Everywhere you go in Seoul it would be filled with families gathering together. My home stay family is a Christian family so they celebrate it differently. Like any other family, they would prepare the food the day before and on Chuseok, everyone gathers and eats together. My home stay family, gathered from morning to night. We ate food in the morning, talked, talked, talked, (I didn't understand 90% of it), eat some more, talk, talk, decide to get in the car, go to Haneul Park which basically looks over all of Seoul. Really cool park and then talk some more before going to a different place to eat some more and then all the young ones went to Karaoke before calling it the night. It was a really hard and long day for me because not only was I trying to find conversation topics to talk about but I also was trying to talk to my homestay's relatives. There were 3 other people around my age but basically older then me and their english abilities is waaaay better then my korean ability and we could sort of talk. However, I felt sorry that they were having a hard time as well. Motivation to UP my Korean language studying.
The day after, my homestay and I went hiking. There were A LOT of people there. People from ALL ages. From parents bringing their babies on their back or their 2-year old toddler to the elderly. There were even some middle age women there with their heels on! I was very surprised but it was very much an experience. We didn't hike all the way to the top because my home stay had to meet their friends and I realized how much I need to get in shape to keep up with my homestay. (sooo embarassing.) I definitely want to go hiking again! It seems like my homestay goes hiking every Saturday! I'm soo amazed.
Anyways, classes are really long and dreary. I have classes that are fully in English and classes that are fully in Korean. The one fully in Korean is my Korean language class. We have 2 teachers for Korean language class. One who is in charge of grammar and the other who is in charge of oral. We have it every day from 4 - 6 and for me, sometimes, it's really hard to go to class at that time because somedays I don't even have morning classes. My classes so far are going... I mean, the professors definitely are intelligent and well educated people, however, at times, it is hard to understand what is going on in class. I have one class that is structured in a way I am not particularly used to and am slightly uncomfortable with it. Students are put into groups and assigned a topic. Each topic is assigned a presentation date and so basically students learn from other students about the certain topic. The professor is there to confirm the information. First presentations is this Friday and I'm not sure a lot of students will show up this Friday which will make up for an interesting class for sure.
This Friday and Saturday is what they call the Yonko Games or if you are from Korea university they call the Koyon Games. What is it? 5 different sport matches between Yonsei University and Korea University. The two universities have a huge rivalry going on, so it's going to be super fun. Because the first day of Yonko games is on Friday, a lot of students will be skipping to go there. I want to go but that one class I was talking about, is all about attendance. I'll go to the Saturday one.
I've been too busy with Korean classes that I haven't really explored much of Seoul yet. However I would like to go to Namsan Tower, Everland, Lotte World and other places. However, I need the time. Right now I don't have it yet. :'(
Well I really should be going back to doing my homework.
Signing out~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer and Communication

So, I arrived in Seoul after a long 14 hour trip. 14? maybe even 15. The layover in Shanghai was brutal to say the least. Well the flight to Shanghai itself was brutal as well. First, there was no tv like i'm used to on long flight travels. Second, My laptop wasn't fully charged, so I couldn't even use it for long as I was saving it for the layover. Third, Food/service on the plane wasn't that great. I got 2 meals and some sort of sandwich snack. Also, I told you yesterday about gate checking in my guitar? Well, that didn't work out well. At least they let me put it in the overhead compartment besides it being a full flight. However, I sat beside a really nice person who helped me. The flight attendants were not really good at understanding English, so the person beside me helped me ask the flight attendants what to do and etc. So the 12 hr flight to Shanghai was brutal with me fighting to sleep or staring into nothingness, attempt at conversation to the perso

Osaka! Takarazuka! Junsu?

So where do I begin? Last time I told you I was going to update in Japan but I ended up not doing that because on the flight to Japan, I made friends with the person beside me. We somehow connected in conversations during the flight over that, before she had to move on to Shanghai, thought we should chill together a little bit more. (Which reminds me that I need to e-mail her). Anyways, the flight over to Korea eventually was uneventful besides the turbulence in the beginning, well landing in Japan was very turbulent as well. The weather was not great at that time to say the least. Landed safely and I was happy to see that my friends had came to pick me up. Keeping it Korean style, decided to take a picture of my arrival/reunion. We caught up with each other on the way to the friend's place I'm staying at, and it really felt surreal for me to be back in Korea. It was nice and welcoming at the same time it was... yup I'm in Korea... kind of reaction. Since my plane lande

Now that I am home

I have been back home for 3 days already. It feels more like a week already because this stupid jetlag is not helping me at all. Today is the 11th already. It doesn't feel like it. Today? Yesterday? well on the 10th, I meant to wake up earlier... like 10 in the morning but instead, I woke at around 4 in the evening. Just in time for the dinner gathering my family had with my aunt and uncle that came by from the other side of Canada. It was nice to see them again but the whole time I was kicking myself in my head because I didn't wake up earlier. Now I am suffering from the consequences... It sucks because outside... there is light already.  I should go to bed because there is another family gathering I have to go to at 9:30am and I have an orientation thing that I have to go to with the volunteering thing I am doing this summer at 1pm... and I think I might have to drive for it. But here's the thing... I can't sleep.  Sleep~ please come to me now... at least for