Skip to main content

Eating out in Victoria

As I'm preparing to move out of Victoria, I realize I don't write much to introduce the area. Having lived here for most of my undergraduate degree, I have eaten out a lot here and there are several places I would like to recommend to people if they ever decide to fly over to Canada and stop by BC's capital of Victoria. There are many good places to eat in this city.

Since it's by the harbour, seafood is always the first choice to eating out here in Victoria. As a student, going out to eat seafood is very expensive but I do enjoy my fish and chips. During the summer, there's this amazing fish and chips place that usually you have to wait more than two hours in line to get. The place is called "Red Fish Blue Fish." The location is down by the wharf and it is outdoor, even if they provide a small covering. It's nice to eat outside when the weather is great though. When I come to eat here and it's crappy weather, it shows that I was really craving some good fish and chips. Whenever I show Victoria around to people during the summer, I make them come here. If you plan to eat here do leave out at least two hours because that's usually how long the line up is, especially if the weather is great. I usually buy the two piece cod with fries and share it with friends because I never usually can finish fries by myself. (it is also cheaper for my friend and I in the end).

Next nearby is a place called "The Flying Otter Grill." This is a proper sit down place. It is a long the likes of Cactus Club, Milestones, etc. Those type of restaurants. However, I enjoy this place because of the delicious food. I come here for their sunday night chicken wing special. Their chicken wings are delicious! Especially the thai chilli. On other days, I would come for their burgers. Their blackened halibut burger is absolutely to die for! The atmosphere is great because it is right on the water, although part of the view of the inner harbour can be blocked by other boats on the dock.

My favourite foods include Japanese and Korean food (no surprise!) so I tend to seek these restaurants out more often. Interestingly, there's a large population of Japanese on the island and thus there is also a large amount of Japanese restaurants to choose from. My two favourite ones for dinner hours and beyond is Koto Sushi and Sen Zushi. They are both located downtown and absolutely delicious. Where Sen Zushi has more of a family restaurant atmosphere with the tables mostly open  with the option of the bar seating for people who eat out alone, Koto Sushi has a younger atmosphere I feel. A place where groups would go to or for a date or for a couple of friends to go together because each table has its own corner/barrier. For lunch though, I like to go to this place called Uchida Shokudo. (Picture below) They are only open on weekdays from 11 to 2. However, if they sell out before 2, they close early (which sometimes happens). A simple menu and simple design of the place that is very Japanese. The place is tiny and its hidden. It is located right next to the Victoria Bug Museum.

For Korean Foods, there are three places in Victoria where you can have Korean Food. King Sejong Restaurant, Korean Gardens and Sura Restaurants. If you want lunch I suggest King Sejong but if you want dinner, I would suggest Sura. Sura is famous for Korean BBQ. If you go on a weekend, call to see if it's full or not. It'd be best to make a reservation if your group is more than 2 or 4 (at least on a weekend). Korean Gardens is best if your party is undecided between Korean or Japanese food because they offer both (in which both are absolutely delicious).

These places are restaurants I often default going to when I'm in the mood of eating out here. There are more of course out there but these are just some of my favourites.

I'll add pictures when I return to these locations this summer and show you but for now I only have pictures from my time at Uchida this afternoon. \(^0^)/ I had a Tuna Don.  I had to take it out because there was no place for me to sit, so here's a picture of it .



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer and Communication

So, I arrived in Seoul after a long 14 hour trip. 14? maybe even 15. The layover in Shanghai was brutal to say the least. Well the flight to Shanghai itself was brutal as well. First, there was no tv like i'm used to on long flight travels. Second, My laptop wasn't fully charged, so I couldn't even use it for long as I was saving it for the layover. Third, Food/service on the plane wasn't that great. I got 2 meals and some sort of sandwich snack. Also, I told you yesterday about gate checking in my guitar? Well, that didn't work out well. At least they let me put it in the overhead compartment besides it being a full flight. However, I sat beside a really nice person who helped me. The flight attendants were not really good at understanding English, so the person beside me helped me ask the flight attendants what to do and etc. So the 12 hr flight to Shanghai was brutal with me fighting to sleep or staring into nothingness, attempt at conversation to the perso

Osaka! Takarazuka! Junsu?

So where do I begin? Last time I told you I was going to update in Japan but I ended up not doing that because on the flight to Japan, I made friends with the person beside me. We somehow connected in conversations during the flight over that, before she had to move on to Shanghai, thought we should chill together a little bit more. (Which reminds me that I need to e-mail her). Anyways, the flight over to Korea eventually was uneventful besides the turbulence in the beginning, well landing in Japan was very turbulent as well. The weather was not great at that time to say the least. Landed safely and I was happy to see that my friends had came to pick me up. Keeping it Korean style, decided to take a picture of my arrival/reunion. We caught up with each other on the way to the friend's place I'm staying at, and it really felt surreal for me to be back in Korea. It was nice and welcoming at the same time it was... yup I'm in Korea... kind of reaction. Since my plane lande

Now that I am home

I have been back home for 3 days already. It feels more like a week already because this stupid jetlag is not helping me at all. Today is the 11th already. It doesn't feel like it. Today? Yesterday? well on the 10th, I meant to wake up earlier... like 10 in the morning but instead, I woke at around 4 in the evening. Just in time for the dinner gathering my family had with my aunt and uncle that came by from the other side of Canada. It was nice to see them again but the whole time I was kicking myself in my head because I didn't wake up earlier. Now I am suffering from the consequences... It sucks because outside... there is light already.  I should go to bed because there is another family gathering I have to go to at 9:30am and I have an orientation thing that I have to go to with the volunteering thing I am doing this summer at 1pm... and I think I might have to drive for it. But here's the thing... I can't sleep.  Sleep~ please come to me now... at least for